Background

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Word of the week: Nikolaustag


I’m back! It was certainly quite a week for me. There was little pause between the end of my vacation and resuming my workweek, after leaving on Monday night in California and arriving in Germany on Tuesday night, I then worked Wednesday-Friday. Don't feel too bad, I had an awesome vacation and I planned it this way. I must admit my sleep schedule is still a tad off. And just as I predicted, I went from summer dresses and sandals to tights, jeans, long sleeves, sweater, scarf, jacket, hat and gloves, it’s cold here! There’s not a temperature on the week’s forecast above 10°C. But actually, I kind of don’t mind. Autumn was so beautiful and mild and virtually rain-free that it seems about time there be some seasonal weather. Also, given that it is, “the season,” as I predicted upon my return to Germany Christmas is in full swing. Actually it had already begun to swing the weekend we left in late November when the Christmas market opened. Which brings me to today’s word

Der Nikolaustag: St. Nicholas Day

Yes, it’s a holiday here in Germany! I must admit I’ve had to do a bit of sleuthing to figure out exactly what the deal is and found a lot of explanation from another German expatriate blog. By the way, if I misstate any information I welcome enlightenment. I'm still figuring these customs out and in my process hope not to be another case of internet inaccuracy. So (as I understand) the day celebrates Sankt Nikolaus (St. Nicholas), the patron saint of children, sailors, students, teachers and merchants. 



Since his feast day is on the 6th of December it’s no surprise he’s come to have a connection with Christmas. A quick and dirty lowdown, Nikolaus was born in a wealthy city in what is now Turkey some time in the 4th century. Both his parents died when he was young and Nikolaus inherited a lot of riches and animals. Yet he couldn’t seem to be happy without his family. After continuing to grieve day and night he read a scroll that told of the sad life of the poor and seemingly enchanted but somehow empty life of the rich and made the decision to share his wealth with others. So he walked through the town giving his chains and jewels, nuts, fruit even his clothes to others. Eventually he got a donkey sidekick that he’d load up each year on his birthday in his Sunday best and pass out sweets to children.

Germany is almost evenly divided between Catholics and Protestants (along with other religions). When Martin Luther, the great Protestant Reformer came along, he wanted to get rid of the Catholic elements of Christmas. In an effort to diminish the emphasis on Sankt Nikolaus' association with the holiday, Luther introduced der Heilige Christ (later called das Christkindl), an angel-like Christ Child, to bring Christmas gifts. Later this Christkindl figure would be replaced by der Weihnachtsmann (Father Christmas) in Protestant regions and even cross the Atlantic, where Christkindl mutated into the English term “Kris Kringle.” What does Nikolaus do exactly? Well, according to the legend, on the eve of December 5th he goes from house to house bringing small treats and gifts to children. In some places, children leave their shoes by the window or door for Nikolaus, I’ve read that some children even leave wish lists for Sankt Nikolaus to pass on to the Weihnachtsmann for Christmas.

If there’s one thing Germans know how to do it’s Christmas. There are more holiday traditions to discover, I’ll keep you posted. Until then, I’ll just be waiting for the first snow to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment